Discard studies is an emerging field that takes waste and wasting as its topic of study. To keep practitioners up-to-date, Discard Studies publishes The Dirt, a monthly compilation of recent publications, positions, opportunities, and calls for proposals in the field. Here is The Dirt for November 2018.
Recent Discard Studies Posts
Publications (articles & books)
- de Azevedo, M., Carenzo, S., Goodluck, C., Gutberlet, J., Kain, J., Oloko, M., Reynosa, J., Zapata, P., & Campos, M. (2018). Inclusive Waste Governance and Grassroots Innovations for Social, Environmental and Economic Change. Recycling Networks & Waste Governance.
- Bahers, J., & Giacchè, G. (2018). Towards a metabolic rift analysis: The case of urban agriculture and organic waste management in Rennes (France),
Corvellec, H. (2018). Waste as Scats: For an Organizational Engagement with Waste. Organization, https://doi.org/10.1177/1350508418808235.
- Davis, J., Akese, G., & Y. Garb. (2018). Beyond the Pollution Haven Hypothesis: Where and Why Do e-Waste Hubs Emerge and What Does This Mean for Policies and Interventions? Geoforum, October 16, 2018.
- Davis, J. & Y. Garb. (2018). A Strong Spatial Association between E-Waste Burn Sites and Childhood Lymphoma in the West Bank, Palestine. International Journal of Cancer, https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31902.
- De Rosa, S. (2018). A Political Geography of ‘Waste Wars’ in Campania (Italy): Competing Territorialisations and Socio-Environmental Conflicts. Political Geography, 67, 46–55.
- Eschle, C. (2018). Nuclear (in)security in the everyday: Peace campers as everyday security practitioners. Security Dialogue, 49 (4), 289–305.
- Hawkins, G. (2018). Plastic and Presentism: the time of disposability. Journal of Contemporary Archaeology, 5, 1, 91–102.
- Hawkins, G. (2018). The Skin of Commerce: governing through plastic food packaging. Journal of Cultural Economy, 11, 5, 386–403
- Hawkins, G. (2017). Ethical Blindness: plastics, disposability and the art of not caring. in V. Kinnunen & A. Valtonen (eds). Living ethics in a more-than-human world. University of Lapland Press. (p. 14-27).
- Hodges, Sarah. 2018. ‘Plastic History, Caste and the Government of Things in Modern India.’ In South Asian Governmentalities, Cambridge University Press, pp. 176-197.
Johansson, N. & H. Corvellec. (2018). Waste Policies Gone Soft: An Analysis of European and Swedish Waste Prevention Plans. Waste Management, 77, 322–32
- Kenner, A. (2018). Breathtaking: Asthma Care in a Time of Climate Change. University of Minnesota Press.
- Keske, C., Mills, M., Tanguay, L., & Dicker, J. (2018). Waste Management in Labrador and Northern Communities: Opportunities and Challenges. Northern Review, 47, 79-112.
- Köster, R. (2017). Hausmüll: Abfall und Gesellschaft in Westdeutschland 1945–1990. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht.
- Knuth, S. (2018). Cities and Planetary Repair: The Problem with Climate Retrofitting. Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space, https://doi.org/10.1177/0308518X18793973.
- Madrigal, A. (2018) Disposable America. The Atlantic.
Midgley, J. (2018). Anticipatory Practice and the Making of Surplus Food. Geoforum, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2018.09.013.
O’ Hare, P. (2018). The Landfill Has Always Borne Fruit’: Precarity, Formalisation and Dispossession among Uruguay’s Waste Pickers. Dialectical Anthropology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10624-018-9533-6.
O’Neill, K. (2018). ‘The New Global Political Economy of Waste.’ In A Research Agenda for Global Environmental Politics, Edward Elgar Publishing, p. 87-100.
- Pitkanen, L., & Farish, M. (2017). Nuclear landscapes. Progress in Human Geography, 0309132517725808.
- Rosa, E., & Cirelli, C. (2018). Scavenging: Between precariousness, marginality and access to the city. The case of Roma people in Turin and Marseille. Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space, 0308518X18781083.
- Soden, R., & Lord, A. (2018). Mapping Silences, Reconfiguring Loss: Practices of Damage Assessment & Repair in Post-Earthquake Nepal. In Proceedings of the ACM on Human-Computer Interaction, Vol. 2, No. CSCW, Article 161.
- Power, E., and Keeling, A. (2018). Cleaning up Cosmos: Satellite Debris, Radioactive Risk, and the Politics of Knowledge in Operation Morning Light. The Northern Review: 81–109.
- Twemlow, A (2017). Sifting the Trash: A History of Design Criticism. MIT Press.
Special Issues & Collections
- On the Politics of Ugliness (2018). Edited by S. Rodrigues & E. Przybylo. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Indeterminacy: Waste, Value, and the Imagination (2018). Edited by C. Alexander, & A. Sanchez, A. Berghahn Books.
- Indigenous Life Projects and Extractivism: Ethnographies from South America (2018). Edited by C. Ødegaard & J. Rivera Andía. Palgrave, Macmillan, Cham.
- Reimagining Maralinga (2018). Edited by N.A.J. Taylor, P. Brown & E. Barkley. Unlikely: Journal for Creative Arts, 5.
- Aluminum Upcycled: Sustainable Design in Historical Perspective by Carl A. Zimring (review) by Mimi Sheller
- Consumerism, Waste, and Re-Use in Twentieth-Century Fiction: Legacies of the Avant-Garde by Rachele Dini (review) by Raymond Spiteri.
- Hausmüll. Abfall und Gesellschaft in Westdeutschland 1945–1990, by Roman Köster (review) by Jonas Stuck.
Enterprising Nature: Economics, Markets, and Finance in Global Biodiversity Politics by Jessica Dempsey (review) by Jesse Goldstein
- Kanjian bujie zhi wu: Gongye shehui zhong zhishi quanwei de wenhua shizuo (Bad Stuff in Your Food and Other Pressing Matters: Cultural Practices in Institutionalized Epistemic Authorities in the Industrial Society) by Chen Hsin-Hsing (review) by Shun-Ling Chen
Calls for Proposals
- Tools for e-waste Grant by Recyhub, Deadline for applications: 31 January 2019.
The Nature of Health, the Health of Nature: Perspectives from History and the Humanities Conference, 30 May- 1 June, 2019, Renmin University of China, Beijing, China. Deadline: 1 January 201
4th Biannual Conference Social Sciences & Health Innovations: : Multiplicities. Conference, May 23-25 2019, Tomsk, Russia. Deadline for abstracts: 15 December 201
Legacies II: The Manhattan Project and its Afterlives, Conference, September 25-28, 2019, Hanford History Project at Washington State University Tri-Cities, Richland, Washington, USA. Deadline for abstracts: 1 May 201
CFP: The Neglected Lives of Micro-Matter (ASLE 2019). Thirteenth Biennial Conference of the Association for the Study of Literature and Environment, June 26-30, 2019, University of California, Davis. Abstract and biography Deadline: December 15, 201
Irregular Ecologies: The Environmental Impact of Unconventional Warfare. Paper Workshop, 20–21 July 2019, Florianopolis, Brazil. Paper proposal deadline: 15 December 2018
Waste management and circular economy in regional development and planning session at the 8th Nordic Geographers Meeting, Trondheim, 16-19 June 2019. Deadline for abstracts: 10 December 2018
Environmental Research & Education Foundation (EREF) Research Grant. Deadline: 1 December 2018
ESEH Research Grant 2018: Call For Proposals. The ESEH Research Grant is aimed at offering doctoral students and recent post-docs funding useful to complete their research in environmental history.
Conferences and Events
- Equivocal (anthropo)cenes: Indigenous ontologies and the ethics of geo-climatic disruptions. 8-9 November 2018, Universidad Católica, Chile
- Nuclear Diplomacies: Their Past, Present and Future. 9-10 November 2018, SOKENDAI, Japan
- Black Mist Burnt Country: Testing the Bomb. Maralinga and Australian Art. Ends 10 February 2019, Various Locations, Australia
- The Microbiome Revolution? Masterclass with Maureen O’Malley & Derek Skillings. 23 November 2018, University of Sydney, Australia
- Lessons learned’ ? Studying learning devices and processes in relation to technological accidents. 13-14 December 2018, Beffroi de Montrouge, Paris, France.
Positions and Opportunities
- Social science position, ORISE (Oak Ridge Institute) Participant in the Office of Research and Development (ORD) at US Environmental Protectin Agency (EPA)
- Tenure-track position, Environmental Sociology, Drexel University
- Tenure-track position, Environmental Studies, Humboldt State University
- Assistant Professor, Environmental Justice and Social Change, Department of Geography, University of British Columbia (UBC) Vancouver Campus
- Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, College of Arts and Sciences, Washington State University in Pullman, WA
- Assistant Professor – Environmental Science, Policy, and Management – College of Natural Resources, UC Berkeley
- Assistant Professor (tenure track) in Environmental Science, Policy, and Management, University of California Berkeley
- Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Technology Studies, UNC Chapel Hill
- Assistant or Associate Tenure Track Professor in the History of Medicine Department, Johns Hopkins University
- Senior Lecturer/s in Political Science, Lund University
- PhD Scholarship, Radioactive Ruins: Security in the age of the Anthropocene, Danish Institute for International Studies (DIIS)
- PhD Position, Place-Based Indigenous Sciences, Dept Geography, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Risk Governance at McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Post-Doctoral Researcher in Health Impact and Environmental Geography, University of Central Florida. No link. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD Fellowships in Agricultural Biotechnology in Our Evolving Food, Energy, and Water Systems, NC State University
- Postdoc opportunity, Union of Concerned Scientists
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Global Sustainability, University of South Florida
- Fellows, Consortium for History of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Environmental Fellows Program, Harvard University
- Fellowships, Consortium for History of Science, Technology & Medicine, Philadelphia
- Multiple graduate student opportunities with various faculty from the WaSTE (Waste and Science, Technology & Environment) research hub, Memorial University of Newfoundland
If you have an item to add to The Dirt, please contact email@example.com. We are especially interested in non-English language submissions, and those from outside North America.