Discard Studies is an interdisciplinary field of research that takes systems of waste and wasting as its topic of study, including but beyond conventional notions of trash and garbage. To keep practitioners up to date, Discard Studies publishes The Dirt, a monthly compilation of recent publications, positions, opportunities, and calls for proposals in the field. Here is The Dirt for May 2022.
Special Note: Discard Studies offers a public Zotero library of references collected from The Dirt.
The Zotero library is updated with the publication of each new edition of The Dirt and can be found on the Resources page.
Anyone can access the Zotero library, whether or not they use Zotero software. For those not already familiar with Zotero, it is a free and open-source software. More about Zotero here.
Recent Discard Studies Posts
- Sorting It Out: Sustainability in Higher Education by Kathy Zhang
- Acts of Occlusion by Korede Akinkunmi
- Discard Studies Staffing Changes
- Copyright on the Farm by MC Forelle
- Reading Lists: Residential Schools
Peer-reviewed Articles & Books
Note: If an article is behind a paywall, email the author. They are almost always authorized by copyright to distribute their own work.
We have begun posting the gender parity of The Dirt, especially given evidence that COVID-19 is increasing the skew in knowledge production to be ever more male, white, and childless. According to the Summers Gender Balance Assessment Tool, the bibliography for The Dirt in May 2022 is approximately 27.81% percent women-authored.
- Akinbamini, Oluyemi Eugene, Babatunde Anifowose, and Eric Chigozirim Obioma. 2022. Oil Spill Modeling for the Mariner Oil Field, East of Shetland, United Kingdom, North Sea. Journal of Environmental Engineering 148(8): May.
- Almeida Pires, T. de, V. L. Cardoso, and F. R. X. Batista. 2022. Feasibility of Chlorella vulgaris to Waste Products Removal from Cheese Whey. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 19:4713–4722. Keywords: Cheese whey, Chlorella vulgaris, dairy treatment, photo fermentation
- Asim, N, M. Badiei, M. Torkashvand, M.A. Alghoul, N. Asma Samsudin, N. Amin and K. Sopian. 2022. Inorganic‑Based Adsorbent Materials for the Removal of Gaseous
Pollutants. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 19:5731–5752. Keywords: Inorganic adsorbent materials, gaseous pollutants, modification, adsorption
- Balietti, Anca, Souvik Datta, and Stefanija Veljanoska. 2022. Air Pollution and Child Development in India. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol. 113. Keywords: ambient air pollution, child health, anthropometry, wind direction, height premium
- Barber, Olivia Williams and Erica M. Hartmann. 2021. Benzalkonium Chloride: A Systematic Review of Its Environmental Entry through Wastewater Treatment, Potential Impact, and Mitigation Strategies. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology 52(15): 2691-2719. Keywords: Benzalkonium chloride, wastewater, environmental fate, environmental toxicity, disinfectant, antimicrobial resistance
- Bruzzone, Victor and Peter Mulvihill. 2022. Phenomenology, Habit, and Environmental Inaction. Ethics, Policy & Environment 25(2):178-193. Keywords: environment, inaction, phenomenology, Merleau-Ponty, habit
- Cook, Aaron M. and James S. Shortle. 2022. Pollutant Trading with Transport Time Lags. Environmental and Resource Economics 82:355–382. Keywords: Water quality trading, lag times, market design, trade ratios, nutrient pollution
- Domingues, A, J. P. da Costa, T. A. P. Rocha‑Santos, F.J.M. Gonçalves, R. Pereira, and J.L. Pereira. 2022. Biosorption Potential of the Shell of Corbicula fluminea towards Olive Oil Mill Waste. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 19:5689–5696. Keywords: Bioremediation, bivalve shells, invasive asian clam, FTIR analysis, toxic wastes
- Herrero, Marta, Neus Gonza, Joaquim Rovira, Montse Marqués, José L. Domingo, Manuela Abalos, Esteban Abad, and Martí Nadal. 2022. Health Risk Assessment of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) in Baby Clothes: A Preliminary Study. Environmental Pollution 307, August. Keywords: Polychlorinated biphenyls, textile, dermal absorption, human health risks, organic cotton
- Katz, Eric. 2022. Considering De-Extinction: Zombie Arguments and the Walking (And Flying and Swimming) Dead. Ethics, Policy & Environment 25(2):81-103. Keywords: authenticity, de-extinction, design in nature, domination of nature, ecological restoration, environmental management, proxy species, zombies
- Klun, Barbara, Ula Rozman, Monika Ogrizek and Gabriela Kalcíkovà. 2022. The First Plastic Produced, but the Latest Studied in Microplastics Research: The Assessment of Leaching, Ecotoxicity and Bioadhesion of Bakelite Microplastics. Environmental Pollution 307, August. Keywords: Aquatic toxicity, adsorption, bioadhesion, leachate, microplastics
- Lia, Yao-Jian , Si-Lu Peia, Zhong-Hua Suna, Lei Zhonga, Cheng-Chun Heb, and Shu-Yuan Pan. Comprehensive Performance Evaluation of Plasma Vitrification for Detoxification and Valorization of Residual Wastes. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, May. Keywords: Application, circular economy, dioxin, fly ash, heavy metals, principles and mechanisms
- Lam, Shu Kee, Jordan P Goodrich, Xia Liang, Yujing Zhang, Baobao Pan, Louis A Schipper, Yiyi Sulaeman, Lee Nelson, and Deli Chen. 2022. Mitigating Soil Greenhouse-Gas Emissions from Land-Use Change in Tropical Peatlands. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, April.
- Luo, Yu, Jeremy Douglas, and Sabine Pahl. 2022. Reducing Plastic Waste by Visualizing Marine Consequences. Environment and Behavior 54(4):809-832. Keywords: plastic marine debris, behavior change, visualization, nudge, ocean conservation, plastic pollution
- Maldhure, A., A. Waghela, P. Nagarnaik, Khadse and P. Labhasetwar. 2022. Microwave Treated Activated Carbon from Industrial Waste Lignin for Denitrification of Surface Water. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 19:4987-4996. Keywords: Microwave treatment, lignin activated carbon, denitrification of water, nitrate adsorption–desorption, column study
- Mukhopadhyay, Raj, Binoy Sarkar, Eakalak Khan, Daniel S. Alessi, Jayanta Kumar Biswas, K.M. Manjaiah, Miharu Eguchi, Kevin C.W. Wu, Yusuke Yamauchi, Yong Sik Ok. 2021. Nanomaterials for Sustainable Remediation of Chemical Contaminants in Water and Soil. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology 52(15):2611-2660. Keywords: environmental protection, green and sustainable remediation, sustainable development goals, soil remediation, soil pollution, wastewater treatment
- Nam, Kyung‑Min, Yifu Ou, Euijune Kim, and Siqi Zheng. 2022. Air Pollution and Housing Values in Korea: A Hedonic Analysis with Long‑range Transboundary Pollution as an Instrument. Environmental and Resource Economics 82:383-407. Keywords: Transboundary air pollution, particulate matter, hedonic price model, two-stage least squares, Korea, China
- Palanisamy, V, V. Gajendiran, and K. Mani. 2022. Meta‑analysis to Identify the Core Microbiome in Diverse Wastewater. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 19:5079–5096. Keywords: Meta-analysis , industrial effluents, core microbiome, alpha diversity, beta diversity, metabolic analysis
- Pandey, Abhinav, Rajeev Kumar Mishra, and Govind Pandey. 2022. Investigating Exhaust Emissions from In-Use Passenger Cars: Exploratory Analysis and Policy Outlook. Journal of Environmental Engineering 148(8): July.
- Schöttker Oliver and Frank Wätzold. 2022. Climate Change and the Cost‑Effective Governance Mode for Biodiversity Conservation. Environmental and Resource Economics 82:409–436. Keywords: Agri-environment scheme, biodiversity, climate-ecological-economic modelling, conservation payments, cost-effectiveness, land acquisition, make-or-buy decision, payments for environmental services, modes of governance
- Shahabuddin, M, M.Nur Uddin, J.I. Chowdhury, S.F. Ahmed, M.N. Uddin, M. Mofijur, and M.A. Uddin. 2022. A Review of the Recent Development, Challenges, and Opportunities
of Electronic Waste (E‑Waste). International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, May. Keywords: E-waste, pre-treatment, recycling, legislation, circular economy
- Wan, Li, et al. 2022. Heavy Metal and Nutrient Concentrations in Top- and Sub-Soils of Greenhouses and Arable Fields in East China – Effects of Cultivation Years,
Management, and Shelter. Environmental Pollution 307, August. Keywords: Greenhouse vegetable production, cultivation years, soil depths, heavy metals, soil nutrients, atmospheric deposition
- Xia, Fan, Jianwei Xing, Jintao Xu, and Xiaochuan Pan. 2022. The Short-Term Impact of Air Pollution on Medical Expenditures: Evidence from Beijing. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, May. Keywords: Air pollution, medical costs, heterogeneous impacts, pollution episodes
- Zhang, Yulin and Tony Zhang. 2022. Culturing the Uncultured Microbial Majority in Activated Sludge: A Critical Review. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, May.
- Caste and Nature: Dalits and Indian Environmental Politics; Mukul Sharma, Oxford University Press, 2018. // Reviewed by Shatam Ray
- Fueling Mexico: Energy and Environment, 1850-1950; Germán Vergara, Cambridge University Press. 2021 // Reviewed by
Viridiana Hernandez Fernandez
- Transboundary Environmental Governance across the World’s Longest Border; Stephen Brooks, Andrea Olive, eds. University of Manitoba Press, 2022 // Reviewed by Molly Rozum
- Waste Colonialism, Recycling, & Microplastics — Interview with Jesi Cruz Taylor, Revolutionary Left Radio || 23 May 2022
- Trash is His Muse: Meet the Sanitation Department’s Resident Artist — Profile of sTo Len, New York Times, 30 May 2022
Calls for Papers/Proposals/Submissions
- Global Challenges in Environmental Humanities. Bloomsbury Press.
- Integrated Social-Ecological-Infrastructural Management for Urban Resilience — special issue of Resources, Conservation & Recycling; deadline 30 June
Conferences & Symposia
- Undoing the Crisis | York University Graduate STS Conference; 3 June
- European Society for Environmental History Conference, Bristol, UK; 4-8 July
- SUNY New Cluster Hiring Initiative, multiple positions | Urban Sustainability | Water | Bioeconomy
- Full Time Lecturer, Interdisicplinary Studies | California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- 3-year PhD fellowship at Medical Museion, Department of Public Health, University of Copenhagen
- Assistant Professor in Science & Technology Studies: Racial Justice and Intergroup Dialogue | Rensselaer; deadline 1 October
- Social Media Editor, World Wide Waste: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies; deadline 15 June
Discard Studies is funded, in part, by the generous patronage of our readers, via Patreon. New patrons include:
- Manisha Anantharaman. Thank you!
- Shosha Capps. Thank you!
- MYGray. Thank you!
- Lily Baum Pollans. Thank you!
If you have an item to add to The Dirt, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.