E-waste Academy for Scientists and Social Scientists (deadline July 31)
Organised by the United Nations University under the aegis of the StEP Initiative, the EWAS has over the past three editions brought together nearly 60 young researchers from around the world, looking at solving the e-waste from different disciplinary perspectives. It has become the foremost forum available to young scientists to share their knowledge, interact with experts from academia, industry and policy and to develop collaborative partnerships.
Thanks to the generous support of SWICO Recycling, Dell, EMPA, Philips, Secretariat of the Basel Convention, Umicore and UNU, the EWAS2013 is set to take place in Switzerland in December 2013, with the Secretariat of the Basel Convention hosting us at the International Environment House (IEH) in Geneva.
The EWAS is open to PhD students, post-docs and early-career researchers from social and physical sciences investigating the political, social, economic, environmental, health or technological aspects of e-waste.
Topic areas include, but are not limited to:
· Transboundary e-waste flows, international e-waste governance
· Legislation review, policy & regulatory approaches & tools; standards
· Financing and business models; take back system design; reverse logistics
· Design for Re-use and Recycling (DfR) / Eco-design; corporate social responsibility (CSR); extended producer responsibility (EPR)
· Environmental & public health issues
· Consumer recycling / reuse/ disposal behaviour; consumer awareness campaign design and communication; marketing
· Technological developments in material recovery and disposal technologies; formal and informal recycling of e-waste;
· Critical raw materials in e-waste
· Modelling and forecasting methodologies
The deadline for submission of completed applications is 31st July, with 19th July for priority consideration for travel grants.
Please visit the website to download application documents and for more information on this and past years’ academies. You can also download a flier here.
Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org in case of any questions or clarifications.